What do I do if I get hurt at work?

As soon as the incident occurs, report to your first line supervisor, Safety Manager Chris Towle, or HR Manager Renee Nelson. Your supervisor will complete a first report of injury form which can be found in FileMaker. A hard copy of the form can be obtained through Human Resources.

Do I need to punch out for lunch?

Employer’s are required to allow employees time for an unpaid lunch break.  Therefore our system will automatically deduct 30 minutes unpaid lunch or dinner break during any shift of five (5) or more consecutive hours for employees who eat lunch at their worksite.

Any employees who leave their worksite for lunch are required to punch out upon leaving and punch back in when returned to the job site or work station.

Employees who take their lunch break at the job site or workplace are required to punch out for lunch. If an employee does not clock out for lunch, 30 minutes will be automatically deducted from their timecard.

For hourly paid employees who leave their job site workplace, office, shop etc, they are required to punch out when leaving and punch back in upon returning. Punching out at the beginning and punching in at the end of each meal break is mandatory. Employees are required to punch out if on extended personal phone calls or for any other personal reasons that they are not performing company work (other than using the restroom). Immediate supervisors will notify employees of any rules for scheduling lunch breaks at each work location and/or within each department.

Employees can override the automatic deduction for lunch, if necessary and it can also be corrected by talking with your Foreman to correct your time card.

How do I change my personal information? (Name, address, contact info, marital status, emergency contacts, etc.)

For changes to insurance and benefits, email the HR Manager Renee Nelson at renee.nelson@buildingrestoration.com or call her direct line at 612-638-1828.

For payroll changes to your W-4 dependents or direct payroll deposit information, 401k elections, questions about court-ordered child support and wage garnishments, please contact Accounting Manager Rob Winberg at rob.winberg@buildingrestoration.com or call his direct line at 612-638-1833.

How do I update my contact information?

Fill out this form!

What is FileMaker?

FileMaker is a software database program that BRC uses to keep track of its equipment inventory, field orders, time punches, purchase orders, job status, bids and leads we’re working on. In general, nearly every aspect of the company touches our FileMaker database in some capacity.

FileMaker is on our company computers and iPads. We’re working on developing and rolling out additional functionality for FileMaker. We have an in-house developer who works tirelessly developing new functions and aspects to FileMaker that will not only help with efficiencies in the office and shop, but in the field as well.    

If you experience issues with the time clock, FileMaker functionality in general, or have a suggestion to make the system more user friendly, please contact our Filemaker Developer David Pasewald at david.pasewald@buildingrestoration.com or call his direct line at 612-638-1840.

How can I change the tax amount withheld from my paycheck?

  • This is the W4 needed to change your tax withholdings.
  • Print out a copy, fill out your information (it has instructions and a worksheet to help calculate the number of allowances you are claiming), sign it, and bring it into Rob Winberg in accounting.
  • You only need to submit the first page.
  • Rob also has copies and can help you fill out the form if you have questions.